Roanoke Ties Swarthmore, Eliminated on Penalty Kicks

Roanoke Ties Swarthmore, Eliminated on Penalty Kicks

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. --- Roanoke men's soccer nearly picked up a first round win in its first NCAA contest since 2012 on Saturday afternoon. The Maroons played Swarthmore College to a 2-2 draw thru regulation and the two overtime periods, resulting in a deciding penalty shootout. The Garnet won the shootout 4-2 to advance to the second round.

Score | Roanoke 2, Swarthmore 2 (2-0T) | Swarthmore Advances via Penalty Shootout (4-2)
Records | Maroons (14-2-4); Garnet (11-3-4)
Location | Christopher Newport University/Newport News, Va.


  • Swarthmore got off three shots in the game's opening five minutes of play. Zach Behe made a save on the first shot of the afternoon while the other two shots were off target.
  • Roanoke would answer with the next three shots, but the match remained tied at the mid-way point of the first half.
  • The Garnet would break the tie when Bless Tumushabe ripped a shot from the top of the box just off the fingertips of Behe.
  • Roanoke wasted little time in finding the equalizer. Luca Kuettel won a 50/50 ball and sent a low shot into the back of the net to tie the score at 1-1 heading into the break.
  • Less than 15 minutes into the second half, the Garnet would retake the lead on an Omri Gal shot into the corner of the goal.
  • As the clock went under 10 minutes to play, Roanoke was awarded a corner kick. Tim Leuenberger sent the ball into the box and after it volleyed around, Liam Camilleri would knot the game and send it into overtime.
  • Leuenberger would get the lone shot in the first overtime but it was saved by Max Kral.
  • In the opening stages of the second overtime period, Swarthmore got a breakaway. As Leuenberger tried to stop the breakaway from behind he was called for a foul on the tackle. The RC wall was able to keep the ensuing free kick from getting towards the goal and the game would remain tied.
  • After 110 minutes the winner would be decided by penalty kicks and Camilleri would strike first for the Maroons. After Ben Lau scored on his chance, Kral made a save for the Garnet. Another Swarthmore score and save, saw Roanoke with a two goal deficit. Alec Taitague would close the gap with shot into the left side of the goal. The Garnet would seal the win after Conner Gill sent his penalty shot off the fingertips of Behe, advancing Swarthmore in the tournament.

--- This release is courtesy of the Roanoke College athletic communications department. ---