NASHVILLE, Tenn. --- The 32nd-ranked Washington and Lee men's tennis team saw its season come to an end with a 5-0 loss to 10th-ranked Williams in the third round of the NCAA Tournament held at the Ensworth School in Nashville, Tenn., on Sunday afternoon.
In the first-ever meeting between the two programs, the Ephs swept through the doubles for an early 3-0 advantage. The team of senior Noah Tapp (Lexington, Ky. / Henry Clay) and junior T.J. Rudden (Mountain Lakes, N.J. / Mountain Lakes) proved the stiffest competition, falling to the tandem of Chase Cohen and Austin Barr by a score of 8-6 at No. 2 doubles.
In singles, Williams took the matches at No. 1 and 2 by 6-0, 6-0 scores to close out the match.
Williams now advances to the NCAA Quarterfinals, while the Generals finish the season with a 14-5 overall record.
WILLIAMS 5, WASHINGTON AND LEE 0
May 16, 2021 at Nashville, Tenn. (Ensworth School)
- Arturo Kam (WILL) def. Connor Coleman (WLU) 6-0, 6-0
- Austin Barr (WILL) def. Evan Brady (WLU) 6-0, 6-0
- Calvin Chung (WILL) vs. Alex Fedor (WLU) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
- Chase Cohen (WILL) vs. Noah Tapp (WLU) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
- Noah Reich (WILL) vs. Harry Kittredge (WLU) 6-2, 2-2, unfinished
- Karan Armin (WILL) vs. T.J. Rudden (WLU) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
- Calvin Chung/Arturo Kam (WILL) def. Connor Coleman/Harry Kittredge (WLU) 8-2
- Chase Cohen/Austin Barr (WILL) def. Noah Tapp/T.J. Rudden (WLU) 8-6
- Noah Reich/Karan Armin (WILL) def. Alex Fedor/Evan Brady (WLU) 8-3
- Washington and Lee 14-5 National ranking #32
- Williams 6-1 National ranking #10
- Order of finish: Doubles (1-3-2); Singles (1-2)