LEXINGTON, Ky. --- Randolph-Macon Women's Basketball's tournament run has come to a close after a Saturday evening loss to #8 Oglethorpe. Senior Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C./Halifax Academy) closed the final game of her career with 29 points and 15 rebounds, while senior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) finished her career with exactly 1,000 points.
- Score: #8 Oglethorpe 71, Randolph-Macon 63
- Location/Venue: Lexington, Kentucky/Clive Beck Center (Transylvania University)
- Records: Randolph-Macon (19-10), Oglethorpe (29-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Yellow Jackets took multiple early leads, but they all were of the small variety and about halfway through the first period, R-MC lost its advantage to Oglethorpe as the Stormy Petrels got ahead by three around the 4:07 mark. Oglethorpe extended its lead to five by the end of the frame.
- Lexington native Peyton Humphreys (Lexington, Ky. / Paul Laurence Dunbar) got the only points of the first three-and-a-half minutes for the Yellow Jackets in the second quarter as R-MC struggled from the floor, while Oglethorpe extended its lead to 27-18. Williams scored nine-straight for R-MC leading up to the 1:30 mark of the period. At the same time, R-MC limited Oglethorpe to just two points in the same stretch. R-MC closed the gap to six at the halftime break.
- Out of halftime, Oglethorpe extended its lead to ten which held for much of the frame. Around the 2:00-to-play mark, junior Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va. / Amelia Academy) made a three-pointer, which sparked a 12-2 run for R-MC to end the period, setting up a three-point deficit for the Yellow Jackets in the final period.
- R-MC cut it to one immediately entering the final frame. Williams made a layup, though it was answered right away by Oglethorpe. The Stormy Petrels used a 10-0 run through the middle of the frame to get the lead back out to 12 and Randolph-Macon was not ever able to get closer than ten until the final bucket by Ross with just seconds remaining, settling the final at 71-63.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Williams finished her season with 22 double-doubles and finishes with 83 double-doubles on her career, including tonight's final tally.
- Ross tallied four points, getting her to 399 points for the season and an even 1,000 points for her career. She made three steals and an assist as well.
- Arrington finished with six points and two steals as well as two assists. She grabbed three rebounds as well.
- Sophomore Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) led the team with four assists. She also collected two steals and three rebounds.
- Sophomore Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) had 11 points and seven rebounds in 25 terrific minutes off the bench.
- She also made two steals and two blocks.
FINISHING THE SEASON
The Yellow Jackets finish the season 19-10 overall and winners of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championship. R-MC is now 14-12 overall in NCAA Tournament games.