GETTYSBURG, Pa. --- After opening the 2022 NCAA Tournament with a big win, Roanoke would face the #4 team in the nation on their home field on Sunday. The Maroons faced Gettysburg with the winner advancing to the round of 16. The Maroons started off with a 3-1 first quarter and followed it up with another three-goal, second, period to take a 6-3 advantage into the half. Gettysburg closed to within a single goal, 7-6, heading into the final frame. Roanoke scored to start the fourth to make it 8-6, however, the home standing Bullets closed the game on a 2-0 run and sent the NCAA second round matchup into overtime. With 2:40 left in the first extra period, Gettysburg got free in the Roanoke zone and ended the tie and the game, 9-8.
- Score: Roanoke 8 | #4 Gettysburg 9 (OT)
- Records: Maroons 16-5 | Bullets 17-3
- Location: Gettysburg, Pa.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Gettysburg would net the first score of the afternoon, less than two minutes into the game. Emerson Foster tied the game off an assist from Riley Chase before Libby Bowman gave the Maroons their first lead, a lead they would hold for the next 51-minutes of play. Lilly Blair made it 3-1 after the first 15-minutes of play.
- Chase went back-to-back to start the second quarter and push the RC advantage to 5-1. A Bullet Free Position shot closed the gap but Foster answered and the lead was back to four goals. Gettysburg scored with 2:30 left on the clock and then sent the game into the half, 6-3.
- Foster scored her third to match the largest lead with 13:36 on the clock in the third quarter. The home team would control the remainder of the frame and when the horn sounded to end the third, the Roanoke lead was cut to 7-6.
- Sydney Harrison pushed the RC lead back to two scores just 1:15 into the final period. Unfortunately, that was the final Roanoke score of the matchup. Gettysburg scored at the 7:54 mark then tied the game three minutes later. Neither team could win It in regulation and the game headed into overtime.
- Shots were deadlocked, like the score, at 19-19 after regulation. Roanoke was able to keep the lead for much of regulation with the help of just six turnovers.
- In overtime, Foster won the draw and one-minute later, Roanoke had a chance but the Blair shot was wide. The Maroons secured the ground ball but would turn the ball over on a shot clock violation. The Roanoke defense forced a turnover and took a timeout. However, RC could not attempt a shot and would turn it back over to the Bullets. With 2:40 left in the first extra period, Jenna King set up Jordan Basso for the game winner.
- Foster scored three times with Chase adding two goals and an assist. Bowman and Harrison added scores while Blair had a goal and an assist. Sophia Chickering secured four draws while her sister, Kyleigh Chickering picked up five ground balls and caused two turnovers while recording seven saves in goal.