ASHLAND, Va. --- The 9th-ranked Randolph-Macon Yellow Jackets hosted Swarthmore College for the first game of the NCAA Tournament in Ashland. Swarthmore hit a go-ahead triple in the ninth inning to complete the upset over the top-seed RMC, 3-2.
- Score: Swarthmore 3, Randolph-Macon 2
- Location: Ashland, Va. (Randolph-Macon Colllege - RMC Softball Field)
- Records: Randolph-Macon (38-9), Swarthmore (25-16)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Yellow Jackets got two runners on in the bottom of the first but stranded a pair to keep the game scoreless after one inning.
- Swarthmore hit back-to-back doubles in the top of the second inning to take the lead. Rilee Baughan (Warsaw, Va./Rappahannock) stranded the runner in scoring position to keep it 1-0, sending RMC to bat.
- RMC answered in the bottom half, as they manufactured a runner into scoring position and scored on a double by Reagan Hill (Hanover, Va./Hanover) to knot the score at one.
- The Garnet got the bats going again in the fourth. Two straight hits to open the inning followed by an error added another run for Swarthmore as they took their second lead of the game.
- Amanda Lanyon (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) and Rilee Baughan both hit singles in the fifth inning and the Yellow Jackets grabbed a run back on an error to even the score 2-2.
- A two-out walk followed by a go-ahead RBI triple took the lead in the top of the seventh for Swarthmore, sending RMC to their final three outs.
- The Lemon and Black threatened in the bottom of the seventh but came up empty, falling 3-2.
BYE THE NUMBERS
- Rilee Baughan was strong in the circle, throwing a complete game, stranding runners on base in big spots to keep RMC withing striking distance. She also tallied a hit and a walk on the day in three at bats.
- Jessica Pittman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) had another great day at the plate, going 2-2 including a sacrifice bunt.
- Reagan Hill had a big RBI double that followed the Pittman sacrifice bunt. Hill's double knotted the score at one.
- Naomi Sadler (Emporia, Va./Brunswick) had a bunt single in her first at bat, extending her on-base streak to nine games. She also stole a base in the game.
UP NEXT: Randolph-Macon will square off with St. John Fisher tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. in Ashland. Tickets will be cash-only and price information is available on rmcathletics.com.