ASHLAND, Va. --- Randolph-Macon College split the second and third games of its NCAA Division III Softball Super Regional series with Rowan University on Saturday afternoon. The Yellow Jackets shut out the Profs, 3-0, in the day's first outing, but a 5-3 setback in the winner-take-all second contest saw Rowan posted a 5-3 victory to earn a spot in the national championship series in Marshall, Texas, next week.
- Scores: Game 1 -- Randolph-Macon 3, Rowan 0 | Game 2 -- Rowan 5, Randolph-Macon 3
- Location: Ashland, Va./Randolph-Macon College/RMC Softball Field
- Records: Randolph-Macon (43-11, 17-3 ODAC), Rowan (41-8, 17-1 NJAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
- The offense came out and landed the first punch as Kayla Davis (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) singled with two outs in the first inning to score Amanda Lanyon (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) to put RMC up 1-0.
- Rilee Baughan left two Rowan runners on base in the first and another on in the third, keeping the Profs scoreless.
- More two-out magic ensued as three consecutive singles got the bases loaded and Gracie Ellis (New Kent, Va./New Kent) doubled home a pair of runs to extend the RMC lead to 3-0.
- Baughan once again pitched out of danger in the third and fourth innings, stranding two in the third and then the bases loaded in the fourth. She rolled through the final three innings of work to complete a four-hit shutout, sending the series to a decisive game three.
BY THE NUMBERS (GAME 1)
- Rilee Baughan threw a complete game shutout, allowing just four hits and striking out five. She also singled at the plate.
- Kayla Davis continued to hit well in the tournament with two more hits in three at bats. She drove in the first run of the game for RMC.
- Amanda Lanyon also had a pair of hits while scoring the first run of the game.
- Gracie Ellis launched a two-run double for two insurance runs in the third inning.
FOR THE RECORD (GAME 1)
- For head coach Kevin Proffitt, the victory marked his 500th career win.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
- Rilee Baughan got the start in the circle again in game two, stranding two Rowan runners in the top of the first but RMC couldn't cash in in the bottom half.
- The Profs' offense started the scoring in the top of the second inning, scoring after two straight hits to begin the inning. They later added another run with a two-out hit but the second runner was thrown out at home after a great throw by Cameron Hildebrand (Fincastle, Va./James River) to get the third out and keep the score 2-0.
- Both teams left runners on in the third inning but Rowan had five straight batters reach base in the top of the fourth, extending their lead with three more runs to make the score 5-0.
- In the seventh inning, Amanda Lanyon got the rally started with a one-out double, followed by an RBI single by Naomi Sadler (Emporia, Va./Brunswick), which was then followed by Rilee Baughan blasting a two-run homer to cut the deficit to two. Kayla Davis got aboard with a single after the Baughan homer but a double play ended the seventh.
BY THE NUMBERS (GAME 2)
- Amanda Lanyon brought her total to five hits on the day with three more in the night cap while also scoring a run. One of the hits was a double to begin the rally in the seventh inning.
- Naomi Sadler also had three hits, driving in a run and scoring another. She also stole a base in the game.
- Rilee Baughan provided the big hit in the seventh, a two-run blast to put RMC within striking distance.
- Olivia Owens had a multi-hit game with two singles.